Winter time means colder weather and hearty meals. If you need an escape from the cold or want warm inviting food and drinks for guests, we’ve got the list for you. With that in mind, we’ve put together 5 different slow cooker recipes to fill your stomach with warm delicious food & drinks. We hope these recipes make your winter nice and cozy.
1 – Slow Cooker Hot Chocolate
Making a batch of Hot Chocolate is perfect for parties. By having a bigger quantity you can enjoy having tasty hot chocolate for longer! By adding delicious toppings like whipped cream, candy canes, or cinnamon sticks- you can make your hot chocolate unique.
Ingredients: (makes 12 servings)
- 12 cups low-fat milk
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Stir milk, sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, salt, and chocolate chips together into your slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low until close to boiling for approximately 2 hours.
- Add toppings as desired, and serve!
2 – Balsamic Short Ribs
Short Ribs are perfect for any holiday, with their sweet juicy taste. Add mashed potatoes and some greens to make a well-rounded dinner for guests or yourself!
Ingredients: (makes 6 servings)
- 6 bone-in beef short ribs (around 3.25 pounds)
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¼ cup water
- Fresh parsley (optional)
- Sprinkle ribs with salt and pepper, then heat 1 tablespoon of oil on a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the ribs to the skillet and cook until all sides are brown, then transfer the short ribs to the slow cooker.
- Add the other tablespoon of oil to the pan with the onion, cook until starting to brown.
- Stir in tomato paste, thyme, and garlic cook while stirring for 1 minute.
- Add vinegar to the mix, scraping up any brown bits until liquid is mostly reduced (3-5 minutes).
- Transfer to the slow cooker and add broth. Set the slow cooker to cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- After done cooking, transfer ribs to plate.
- Transfer the liquid to a medium saucepan and bring to a boil over high.
- Whisk cornstarch & water into the mix. Cook, continuously whisking, until thickened.
- Add remaining salt.
- Pour over your short ribs, with mashed potatoes and asparagus if desired.
3 – Thai Style Sweet Chili Chicken
If you’re looking for a spicy hearty meal to keep you warm in the winter months this Asian style chili-chicken has got you covered! This dish is best served over rice noodles or brown rice.
Ingredients: (serves 4)
- 2 1/2 lb whole chicken
- 1/4 cup Thai sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp herb blend
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp cilantro, fresh
- Place whole chicken in your slow cooker.
- Mix chili sauce, vinegar, chili powder, and lemongrass herb into a small bowl. Coat the chicken with your mixture.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and cilantro on top of chicken cover and cook on low heat for 6-8 hours or on high heat for 3-4 hours. Make sure that the internal temperature of chicken has reached 180 F (82 C).
- When done cooking, carve and serve with mixed vegetables.
4 – Sweet Potato Stuffing
This recipe is perfect for those large family gatherings. While this recipe is made for the stuffing to cook on its own, you can also cook it inside a Turkey if you so choose!
Ingredients: (serves 10)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 6 cups bread cubes
- 1 large sweet potato, cooked, peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- In a 6qt. stockpot, heat butter over med-high heat and sauté celery & onion until tender.
- Stir in broth and seasonings, and then stir in remaining ingredients.
- Transfer stuffing to a greased slow cooker. Cook covered on low until thoroughly heated, around 4 hours.
We hope that our list of Slow Cooker Fall Recipes gave you some dinner inspiration for the holidays! If you have some to add, let us know in the comments below. Plus, if you give these recipes a try tell us how they turned out. Here’s to good food and fun parties!